shellac/gel nails... tips and tricks
So you've researched, you've googled, and you've YouTube'd how to DIY shellac nails and finally gotten your hands on the necessary supplies.. now what? I've compiled a list of tips and tricks to help you achieve that salon-like, flawless shellac manicure every time.
- Start with super clean nails - In order for the polish to adhere properly there cannot be any residue, dust, or dirt on the nail surface. A light buffer followed by a swipe of nail polish remover will do the trick.
- Thoroughly shake your polish - Over time the ingredients in the polish may separate and reduce the integrity of your manicure. A good shake will mix the ingredients and ensure a smooth finish.
- Apply thin coats - At least for the first coat apply only a thin layer! This will help reduce chipping and peeling in the long run.
- Paint the edges - After each nail swipe the brush across the tip of the nail, this will help reduce chipping as well.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize - After a shellac manicure you're nails will look devastatingly fabulous.. so make sure your cuticles match. Moisturize immediately after painting as well as each night before bed.
- The tin foil trick - Removing shellac can prove difficult. For easy removal dip a cotton ball in nail polish remover, place it on your nail, wrap your fingertips in foil, and wait about 15 minutes. After removing the foil the polish will scrape right off.
Hope these tips and tricks can make the perfect manicure much easier and affordable.