The hot summer months are upon us and while it is important to always use sunscreen, our risk for sun damage increases in the summer months when we are spending more time in direct sunlight. Wearing sunscreen daily is important to protect skin from wrinkles, dark spots, aging, and the big one, skin cancer. Sunscreen in the past has gotten a bad rep for its sticky texture, inability to absorb, and less than pleasant smell but with the proper products and application techniques we can enjoy the benefits of sun protection without dragging down our beauty routine.
Sunscreen is notorious for creating a shiny complexion when spending a day at the beach. Thankfully there are application techniques that can help reduce shine:
1. Wash face in the a.m. to reduce oil build up over night.
2. Use a cotton pad to swipe your t-zone with a mattifying toner.
3. Apply a quarter sized amount of sunscreen to your face and neck, use a formula containing a moisturizer for fewer layers (fewer layers = less shine).
4. Let sunscreen absorb until fully dry, then blot to remove left over residue with tissue or blotting sheet.
5. Dust on a SPF containing powder that matches your skin tone to keep you matte all day and covered with a second layer of protection.
I am a huge fan of mineral sunscreens. They provide protection without feeling like sunscreen. These are a few of my favorites..
- La Roche-Posay Anthelious 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid
- MD Solar Sciences Mineral Screen Gel
- Bare Minerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen
Wearing sunscreen daily is an important part of keeping our skin youthful and healthy and when the proper techniques and products are used it can be less of a hassle! Hope this helps.